Dabigatran in prevention of venous thromboembolism
Kosmacheva E. D., Kizhevatova N. V., Gordeeva E. V.
Keywords: warfarin, venous thrombosis, dabigatran, treatment, PE
Current anticoagulants have serious side effects, primarily hemorrhage, and the process of adjusting the dosage to make the therapy effective and safe is complicated. Dabigatran is a new anticoagulant, a non-peptide, highly specific thrombin inhibitor. The review presents results of clinical studies which have demonstrated that dabigatran is not inferior to warfarin in effective prevention of recurrent venous thromboembolism (VTE), safety, and convenience of use.
- Goldhaber SZ. Venous thromboembolism: Epidemiology and magnitude of the problem. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2012 Sep;25(3):235-42.
- Sánchez D, De Miguel J, Sam A et al. The effects of cause of death classification on prognostic assessment of patients with pulmonary embolism. J Thromb Haemost. 2011 Nov;9(11):2201-7
- Anderson FA J, Zayaruzny M, Heit JA et al. Estimated annual numbers of US acute-care hospital patients at risk for venous thromboembolism. Am J Hematol. 2007 Sep;82(9):777-82.
- Klok FA, Zondag W, van Kralingen KW et al. Patient outcomes after acute pulmonary embolism. A pooled survival analysis of different adverse events. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010 Mar 1;181(5):501-6.
- Konstantinides S, Goldhaber SZ. Pulmonary embolism: risk assessment and management. Eur Heart J. 2012 Dec;33(24):3014-22.
- Franchini M, Mannucci PM. New anticoagulants for treatment of venous thromboembolism. Eur J Intern Med. 2012 Dec;23(8):692-5.
- Stangier J, Rathgen K, Stähle H et al. The pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and tolerability of dabigatran etexilate, a new oral direct thrombin inhibitor, in healthy male subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007 Sep;64(3):292-303.
- Eriksson BI, Dahl OE, Rosencher N et al. Dabigatran etexilate versus enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip replacement: a randomized, double-blind, non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2007;370(9591):949-956.
- Eriksson BI, Dahl OE, Huo MH et al. Oral dabigatran versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after primary total hip arthroplasty (RE-NOVATE II*). A randomised, double-blind, non-inferiority trial. Thromb Haemost. 2011 Apr;105(4):721-9.
- Eriksson BI, Dahl OE, Rosencher N et al. Oral dabigatran etexilate vs. subcutaneous enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total knee replacement: the RE-MODEL randomized trial. J Thromb Haemost. 2007 Nov;5(11):2178-85.
- Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S et al. Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial ?brillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(12):1139-1151.
- Schulman S, Kearon C, Kakkar AK et al. Dabigatran versus Warfarin in the Treatment of Acute Venous Thromboembolism. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(24):2342-2352.
- Schulman S, Kearon C, Kakkar AK et al. Extended use of dabigatran, warfarin, or placebo in venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med. 2013 Feb 21;368(8):709-18.
- Schulman S, Kakkar AK, Schellong SM et al. A randomized trial of dabigatran versus warfarin in the treatment of acute venous thromboembolism (RE-COVER II). Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, December 10—13, 2011. Abstract.
- Thelus. Dabigatran versus Warfarin Among Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: Real-World Post-Market Results, presentation 14877. Annual sicentific session, AHA 2012
Kosmacheva E. D., Kizhevatova N. V., Gordeeva E. V. Dabigatran in prevention of venous thromboembolism. Russian Heart Journal. 2014;76 (2):94–97