Disaggregants and their role in prevention of atherothrombotic disease
Mazur N. А., Lomonosova А. А.
Keywords: hypertension, aspirin, deaggregating therapy, stroke, coronary heart disease, clopidogrel, diabetes mellitus, atrial fibrillation
Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases play a leading part in the formation of values of incidence and death rate of the country’s population. The most widespread diseases are chronic and acute CHD (instable angina, ACS, MI), ischemic stroke, peripheral arterial sclerotic disease. The data of large-scale, multi-center, randomized, placebo-controlled studies showed that statins and deaggregating agent significantly reduce death rate related with cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases caused by atherothrombosis, which was reflected in foreign treatment recommendations concerning these groups of patients. In the provided review, only an issue of deaggregating therapy of these diseases and their RFs will be discussed.
- Halkes P, van Gijn J, Kappelle L et al. ESPRIT Study Group. Aspirin plus dipyridamole versus aspirin alone after cerebral ischaemia of arterial origin: Randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2006;367 (9523):1665–1673.
- European Stroke Organisation (ESO) Executive Committee; ESO Writing Committee. Guidelines for management of ischaemic stroke and transient ischaemic attack 2008. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008;25 (5):457–507.
- Cox D, Maree AO, Dooley M et al. Effect of enteric coating on antiplatelet activity of low-dose aspirin in healthy voluntieers. Stroke. 2006;37 (8):2153–2158.
- Savi P, Pereillo JM, Uzabiaga MF et al. Identification and biological activity of the active metabolite of clopidogrel. Thromb Haemost. 2000;84 (5):891–896.
- Cattaneo M. New P2Y (12) inhibitors. Circulation. 2010;121 (1):171–179.
- Hennekens CH. Update on aspirin in the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease. Am J Manag Care. 2002;8 (22 Suppl): S691–700.
- Patrono C, Bachmann F, Baigent C et al. Expert consensus document on the use of antiplatelet agents. The task force on the use of antiplatelet agents in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease of the European society of cardiology. Eur Heart J. 2004;25 (2):166–181.
- A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE). CAPRIE Steering Committee. Lancet. 1996;348 (9038):1329–1339.
- Harker LA, Boissel JP, Pilgrim AJ, Gent M. Comparative safety and tolerability of clopidogrel and aspirin: results from CAPRIE. CAPRIE Steering Committee and Investigators. Clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events. Drug Saf. 1999;21 (4):325–335.
- Dippel DW. The results of CAPRIE, IST and CAST. Clopidogrel vs. Aspirin in Patients at Risk of Ischaemic Events. International Stroke Trial. Chinese Acute Stroke Trial. Thromb Res. 1998;92 (1 Suppl 1):S13–16.
- Yusuf S, Zhao F, Mehta SR et al. Clopidogrel in Unstable Angina to Prevent Recurrent Events Trial Investigators. Effects of clopidogrel in addition to aspirin in patients with acute coronary syndromes without ST-segment elevation. N Engl J Med. 2001;345 (7):494–502.
- Mehta SR, Yusuf S, Peters RJ et al. Effects of pretreatment with clopidogrel and aspirin followed by long-term therapy in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: the PCI–CURE study. Lancet. 2001;358 (9281):527–533.
- Klès P. Results of the CREDO study. AHA Chicago, 18 November 2002. Neth Heart J. 2003; 11 (2): 104–105.
- Steinhubl SR, Berger PB, Mann JT 3rd et al. CREDO Investigators. Clopidogrel for the Reduction of Events During Observation. Early and sustained dual oral antiplatelet therapy following percutaneous coronary intervention: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002;288 (19):2411–2420.
- European Association for Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions. Guidelines on myocardial revascularization: The Task Force on Myocardial Revascularization of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur Heart J. 2010;31 (20):2501–2555.
- Sabatine MS, Cannon CP, Gibson CM et al. Addition of Clopidogrel to Aspirin and Fibrinolytic Therapy for Myocardial Infarction with ST-Segment Elevation. N Engl J Med. 2005;352 (12):1179–1189.
- Bhatt DL, Fox KA, Hacke W et al. CHARISMA Investigators. Clopidogrel and aspirin versus aspirin alone for the prevention of atherothrombotic events. N Engl J Med. 2006;354 (16):1706–1717.
- Cacoub PP, Bhatt DL, Steg PG et al. CHARISMA Investigators. Patients with peripheral arterial disease in the CHARISMA trial. Eur Heart J. 2009;30 (2):192–201.
- Corrado G, Sgalambro A, Mantero A et al. Thromboembolic risk in atrial flutter. The FLASIEC (FLutter Atriale Società Italiana di Ecografia Cardiovascolare) multicentre study. Eur Heart J. 2001;22 (12):1042–1051.
- Camm AJ, Lip GYH, Schotten U et al. Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. The Task Force for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (developed with the special contribution of the European Heart Rhythm Association, endorsed by the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery). Eur Heart J. 2010;31 (19):2369–2429.
- The ACTIVE Investigators. Effect of clopidogrel added to aspirin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;360 (20):2066–2078.
- Hansson L, Zanchetti A, Carruthers SG et al. Effects of intensive blood-pressure lowering and low-dose aspirin in patients with hypertension: principal results of the Hypertension Optimal Treatment (HOT) randomised trial. HOT Study Group. 1998;351 (9118):1755–1762.
- American Diabetes Association: Aspirin Therapy in Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002;25 (Suppl 1): S78–79.
Mazur N. А., Lomonosova А. А. Disaggregants and their role in prevention of atherothrombotic disease. Russian Heart Journal. 2012;11(2):94-98