Features of physical rehabilitation for elderly patients with CHF
Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education, "M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University ", Leninskie Gory 1, GSP-1, Moscow 119991
Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education, "M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University ", Leninskie Gory 1, GSP-1, Moscow 119991
Keywords: r ehabilitation, elderly age, CHF
This is a review of scientific reports and practical recommendations focusing on features of physical rehabilitation for elderly patients. The article highlights methods for evaluating the functional status of these patients and major strategic approaches enhancing their functional capacity. Benefits of physical activity and types of acceptable exercise in senile and elderly patients with CHF are discussed.
- Федеральная служба государственной статистики (РОССТАТ). Численность населения Российской Федерции по полу и возрасту на 1 января 2013 года. Статистический бюллетень. – Росстат – M., 2013. – 311 c [Federal`naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoj statistiki (ROSSTAT). Chislennost` naseleniya Rossijskoj Federczii po polu i vozrastu na 1 yanvarya 2013 goda. Statisticheskij byulleten`. – Rosstat – M., 2013. – 311 c].
- Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics. Older Americans Update 2010: Key indicators of well-being. U.S. – Government Printing Office; Washington, DC 2010. –174 p.
- Chan L1, Beaver S, Maclehose RF, Jha A, Maciejewski M, Doctor JN. Disability and health care costs in the Medicare population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002 Sep;83 (9):1196–201.
- Vos T, Flaxman AD, Naghavi M, Lozano R , Michaud C, Ezzati M et al. Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 2012 Dec 15;380 (9859):2163–96.
- Murray CJ, Vos T, Lozano R , Naghavi M, Flaxman AD, Michaud C et al. Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 2012 Dec 15;380 (9859):2197–223.
- Ho KK, Pinsky JL, Kannel WB, Levy D. The epidemiology of heart failure: the Framingham Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1993 Oct;22 (4 Suppl A): 6A-13A.
- Katz S, Downs TD, Cash HR , Grotz RC. Progress in the development of the index of ADL. Gerontologist. 1970 Spring;10 (1):20–30.
- Lawton MP, Brody EM. Assessment of older people: self- maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living. Gerontologist. 1969 Autumn;9 (3):179–86.
- Gobbens RJ, van Assen MA, Luijkx KG, Schols JM. The predictive validity of the Tilburg Frailty Indicator: disability, health care utilization, and quality of life in a population at risk. Gerontologist. 2012 Oct;52 (5):619–31.
- Gill TM, Gahbauer EA, Han L, Allore HG. Functional trajectories in older persons admitted to a nursing home with disability after an acute hospitalization. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 Feb;57 (2):195–201.
- Hardy SE, Dubin JA, Holford TR , Gill TM. Transitions between states of disability and independence among older persons. Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Mar 15;161 (6):575–84.
- Gill TM, Allore HG, Hardy SE, Guo Z. The dynamic nature of mobility disability in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006 Feb;54 (2):248–54.
- Gill TM, Gahbauer EA, Han L, Allore HG. Trajectories of disability in the last year of life. N Engl J Med. 2010 Apr 1;362 (13):1173–80.
- Mainland B, Shulman K. Clock Drawing Test. In: Cognitive Screening Instruments, Larner AJ (Ed). – Springer, London 2013. – p.79–109.
- Fleming KC, Evand JM, Weber DC, Chutka DS. Practical Functional Assessment of Elderly Persons: A Primary-Care Approach. Mayo Clin Proc. 1995 Sep;70 (9):890–910.
- Nordin E, Undelof N, Rosendahl E. Prognostic validity of the Timed Up-and-Go test, a modified Get-Up-and-Go test, staff 's global judgement and fall history in evaluating fall risk in residential care facilities. Age Ageing. 2008 Jul;37 (4):442–8.
- Bohannon RW. Reference Values for the Timed Up and Go Test: A Descriptive Meta-Analysis. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2006;29 (2):64–8.
- Colon-Emeric CS, Whitson HE, Pavon J, Hoenig H. Functional decline in older adults. Am Fam Physician. 2013 Sep 15;88 (6):388–94.
- Tygesen H, Wettervik C, Wennerblom B. Intensive home-based exercise training in cardiac rehabilitation increases exercise capacity and heart rate variability. Int J Cardiol. 2001 Jul;79 (2-3):175–82.
- Gordon NF, Gulanick M, Costa F, Fletcher G, Franklin BA et al. Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors: an American Heart Association scientific statement from the Council on Clinical Cardiology, Subcommittee on Exercise, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Prevention; the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism; and the Stroke Council. Stroke. 2004 May;35 (5):1230–40.
- Nici L, Donner C, Wouters E, Zuwallack R , Ambrosino N, Bourbeau J et al. American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement on pulmonary rehabilitation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006 Jun 15;173 (12):1390–413.
- Liu SY, Lapane KL. Residential modifications and decline in physical function among community-dwelling older adults. Gerontologist. 2009 Jun;49 (3):344–54.
- Iwarsson S. A long-term perspective on person-environment fit and ADL dependence among older Swedish adults. Gerontologist. 2005 Jun;45 (3):327–36.
- Ryburn B, Wells Y, Foreman P. Enabling independence: restorative approaches to home care provision for frail older adults. Health Soc Care Community. 2009 May;17 (3):225–34.
- Newman AB, Dodson JA, Church TS, Buford TW, Fielding RA, Kritchevsky S et al. Cardiovascular Events in a Physical Activity Intervention Compared With a Successful Aging Intervention: The LIFE Study Randomized Trial. JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Aug 1;1 (5):568–74.
- Hochberg MC, Altman RD, April KT, Benkhalti M, Guyatt G, McGowan J et al. American College of Rheumatology 2012 recommendations for the use of nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies in osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012 Apr;64 (4):465–74.
- Whitson HE, Whitaker D, Sanders LL, Potter GG, Cousins SW, Ansah D et al. Memory deficit associated with worse functional trajectories in older adults in low-vision rehabilitation for macular disease. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Nov;60 (11):2087–92.
- Cesari M, Vellas B, Hsu FC, Newman AB, Doss H, King AC et al. A physical activity intervention to treat the frailty syndrome in older persons-results from the LIFE-P study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015 Feb;70 (2):216–22.
- Kosse NM, Dutmer AL, Dasenbrock L, Bauer JM, Lamoth CJ. Effectiveness and feasibility of early physical rehabilitation programs for geriatric hospitalized patients: a systematic review. BMC Geriatr. 2013 Oct 10;13:107.
- Young A. Exercise physiology in geriatric practice. Acta Med Scand Suppl. 1986;711:227–32.
- Dehn MM, Bruce RA. Longitudinal variations in maximal oxygen intake with age and activity. J Appl Physiol. 1972 Dec;33 (6):805–7.
- Goodpaster BH1, Park SW, Harris TB, Kritchevsky SB, Nevitt M, Schwartz AV et al. The loss of skeletal muscle strength, mass, and quality in older adults: the health, aging and body composition study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006 Oct;61 (10):1059–64.
- Peterson MD, Gordon PM. Resistance exercise for the aging adult: clinical implications and prescription guidelines. Am J Med. 2011 Mar;124 (3):194–8.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010, conference edition. –U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington. 2012. –560p.
- King AC, Guralnik JM. Maximizing the potential of an aging population. JAMA. 2010 Nov 3;304 (17):1944–5.
- Nicklett EJ, Semba RD, Xue QL, Tian J, Sun K, Cappola AR et al. Fruit and vegetable intake, physical activity, and mortality in older community-dwelling women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 May;60 (5):862–8.
- Almeida OP, Khan KM, Hankey GJ, Yeap BB, Golledge J, Flicker L. 150 minutes of vigorous physical activity per week predicts survival and successful ageing: a population-based 11-year longitudinal study of 12201 older Australian men. Br J Sports Med. 2014 Feb;48 (3):220–5.
- Hamer M, Lavoie KL, Bacon SL. Taking up physical activity in later life and healthy ageing: the English longitudinal study of ageing. Br J Sports Med. 2014 Feb;48 (3):239–43.
- Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, 2008. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington. 2008. – 76p.
- Nelson ME, Rejeski WJ, Blair SN, Duncan PW, Judge JO, King AC et al. Physical activity and public health in older adults: recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2007 Aug 28;116 (9):1094–105.
- Cress ME, Buchner DM, Questad KA, Esselman PC, deLateur BJ, Schwartz RS. Exercise: effects on physical functional performance in independent older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999 May;54 (5):M242–8.
- Mänty M, Heinonen A, Leinonen R , Törmäkangas T, Hirvensalo M, Kallinen M et al. Long-term effect of physical activity counseling on mobility limitation among older people: a randomized controlled study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009 Jan;64 (1):83–9.
- Pahor M, Guralnik JM, Ambrosius WT, Blair S, Bonds DE, Church TS et al. Effect of structured physical activity on prevention of major mobility disability in older adults: the LIFE study randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014 Jun 18;311 (23):2387–96.
- Sattelmair JR , Pertman JH, Forman DE. Effects of physical activity on cardiovascular and noncardiovascular outcomes in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med. 2009 Nov;25 (4):677–702, VIII-IX.
- Kyu HH, Bachman VF, Alexander LT, Mumford JE, Afshin A, Estep K et al. Physical activity and risk of breast cancer, colon cancer, diabetes, ischemic heart disease, and ischemic stroke events: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. BMJ. 2016 Aug 9;354: i3857.
- Campbell AJ, Robertson MC, Gardner MM, Norton RN, Buchner DM. Falls prevention over 2 years: a randomized controlled trial in women 80 years and older. Age Ageing. 1999 Oct;28 (6):513–8.
- Miller ME, Rejeski WJ, Reboussin BA, Ten Have TR , Ettinger WH et al. Physical activity, functional limitations, and disability in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000 Oct;48 (10):1264–72.
- Villareal DT, Chode S, Parimi N, Sinacore DR , Hilton T, Armamento-Villareal R et al. Weight loss, exercise, or both and physical function in obese older adults. N Engl J Med. 2011 Mar 31;364 (13):1218–29.
- Brach JS, Simonsick EM, Kritchevsky S, Yaffe K, Newman AB. The association between physical function and lifestyle activity and exercise in the health, aging and body composition study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Apr;52 (4):502–9.
- Morey MC, Sloane R , Pieper CF, Peterson MJ, Pearson MP, Ekelund CC et al. Effect of physical activity guidelines on physical function in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Oct;56 (10):1873–8.
- Chodzko-Zajko WJ, Proctor DN, Fiatarone Singh MA, Minson CT, Nigg CR , Salem GJ et al. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and physical activity for older adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Jul;41 (7):1510–30.
- Guideline for the prevention of falls in older persons. American Geriatrics Society, British Geriatrics Society, and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Panel on Falls Prevention. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001 May;49 (5):664–72.
- Keysor JJ. Does late-life physical activity or exercise prevent or minimize disablement? A critical review of the scientific evidence. Am J Prev Med. 2003 Oct;25 (3 Suppl 2):129–36.
- Pahor M, Blair SN, Espeland M, Fielding R , Gill TM, Guralnik JM et al. Effects of a physical activity intervention on measures of physical performance: Results of the lifestyle interventions and independence for Elders Pilot (LIFE-P) study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006 Nov;61 (11):1157–65.
- Young J, Angevaren M, Rusted J, Tabet N. Aerobic exercise to improve cognitive function in older people without known cognitive impairment. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Apr 22; (4):CD005381.
- Forbes D, Forbes SC, Blake CM, Thiessen EJ, Forbes S. Exercise programs for people with dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Apr 15; (4):CD006489.
- Sink KM, Espeland MA, Castro CM, Church T, Cohen R , Dodson JA et al. Effect of a 24-Month Physical Activity Intervention vs Health Education on Cognitive Outcomes in Sedentary Older Adults: The LIFE Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2015 Aug 25;314 (8):781–90.
- Stessman J, Hammerman-Rozenberg R , Cohen A, Ein-Mor E, Jacobs JM. Physical activity, function, and longevity among the very old. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Sep 14;169 (16):1476–83.
- Lobo A, Carvalho J, Santos P. Comparison of functional fitness in elderlies with reference values by Rikli and Jones and after one-year of health intervention programs. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2011 Mar;51 (1):111–20.
- Sallis RE, Baggish AL, Franklin BA, Whitehead JR . The Call for a Physical Activity Vital Sign in Clinical Practice. Am J Med. 2016 Sep;129 (9):903–5.
- Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington. 2010. – 12p.
- Sparling PB, Howard BJ, Dunstan DW, Owen N. Recommendations for physical activity in older adults. BMJ. 2015 Jan 21;350: h100.
- Ainsworth BE1, Haskell WL, Whitt MC, Irwin ML, Swartz AM, Strath SJ et al. Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000 Sep;32 (9 Suppl): S498–504.
- Lin HW, Bhattacharyya N. Balance disorders in the elderly: epidemiology and functional impact. Laryngoscope. 2012 Aug;122 (8):1858–61.
- Sherrington C, Lord SR , Finch CF. Physical activity interventions to prevent falls among older people: update of the evidence. J Sci Med Sport. 2004 Apr;7 (1 Suppl): 43–51.
- Province MA, Hadley EC, Hornbrook MC, Lipsitz LA, Miller JP, Mulrow CD et al. The effects of exercise on falls in elderly patients. A preplanned meta-analysis of the FICSIT Trials. Frailty and Injuries: Cooperative Studies of Intervention Techniques. JAMA. 1995 May 3;273 (17):1341–7.
- Wolfson L, Whipple R , Derby C, Judge J, King M, Amerman P et al. Balance and strength training in older adults: intervention gains and Tai Chi maintenance. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996 May;44 (5):498–506.
- Wolf SL, Barnhart HX, Kutner NG, McNeely E, Coogler C, Xu T. Reducing frailty and falls in older persons: an investigation of Tai Chi and computerized balance training. Atlanta FICSIT Group. Frailty and Injuries: Cooperative Studies of Intervention Techniques. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996 May;44 (5):489–97.
- Li F, Harmer P, Fisher KJ, McAuley E, Chaumeton N, Eckstrom E et al. Tai Chi and fall reductions in older adults: a randomized controlled trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Feb;60 (2):187–94.
- Gillespie LD, Robertson MC, Gillespie WJ, Sherrington C, Gates S, Clemson LM et al. Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Sep 12; (9):CD007146.
- Haskell WL, Lee IM, Pate RR , Powell KE, Blair SN, Franklin BA et al. Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2007 Aug 28;116 (9):1081–93.
- Morey MC. Celebrating 20 years of excellence in exercise for the older veteran. Federal Practitioner 2007;24:38.
- Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, 2008. Chapter 5. Active Older Adults. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington. 2008. –76p.
- Hupin D, Roche F, Gremeaux V, Chatard JC, Oriol M, Gaspoz JM et al. Even a low-dose of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity reduces mortality by 22% in adults aged ≥60 years: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med. 2015 Oct;49 (19):1262–7.
- Isnard R , Pousset F, Trochu J, Chafirovskaïa O, Carayon A, Golmard J et al. Prognostic value of neurohormonal activation and cardiopulmonary exercise testing in patients with chronic heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2000 Aug 15;86 (4):417–21.
- Balke B. A simple field test for the assessment of physical fitness. Rep Civ Aeromed Res Inst US. 1963 Apr:1–8.
- Jacobson DM, Strohecker L, Compton MT, Katz DL. Physical activity counseling in the adult primary care setting: position statement of the American College of Preventive Medicine. Am J Prev Med. 2005 Aug;29 (2):158–62.
- Artinian NT, Fletcher GF, Mozaffarian D, Kris-Etherton P, Van Horn L, Lichtenstein AH et al. Interventions to promote physical activity and dietary lifestyle changes for cardiovascular risk factor reduction in adults: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2010 Jul 27;122 (4):406–41.
- Kerse N, Elley CR , Robinson E, Arroll B. Is physical activity counseling effective for older people? A cluster randomized, controlled trial in primary care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Nov;53 (11):1951–6.
Orlova Ya.A. Features of physical rehabilitation for elderly patients with CHF. Журнал Сердечная Недостаточность. 2016;17 (5):365–375