Russian Heart Failure Journal 2014year Effect of acute kidney injury on prognosis in patients with acute decompensation of chronic heart failure
Effect of acute kidney injury on prognosis in patients with acute decompensation of chronic heart failure
Makeeva E. R., Menzorov M. V., Shutov A. M., Serov V. A., Saenko Yu. V., Strakhov A. A.
Keywords: circulatory decompensation, acute kidney injury, prognosis, CHF
Background. Rate and severity of acute kidney injury (AKI) in patients with acute decompensated HF (ADHF) are understudied. Aim. To evaluate rate and severity of AKI in patients with ADHF and to specify the relationship of AKI with mortality. Materials and methods. The study included 104 patients with ADHF, 58 (56 %) males and 46 (44 %) females, mean age 65.3±10.7 years. In most of the patients (82, 79 %), HF was induced by IHD. ADHF was diagnosed according to Russian Society of Cardiology Guidelines. AKI was diagnosed and classified according to KDIGO Guidelines (2012). Results. AKI was diagnosed by creatinine level in 76 (73 %) patients. Stage 1 AKI was diagnosed in 61 (59 %) patients; stage 2 – in 13 (12 %) patients, stage 3 – in 2 (2 %) patients. Five (5 %) patients died during the hospitalization period. All dead patients had AKI. The probability of hospital mortality was higher for patients with stage 2–3 AKI than for other patients (OR, 11.2; 95 % CI 1.6–76.3). Conclusion. More than a half of ADHF patients have AKI. Most of the patients (59 %) have stage 1 AKI. Hospital mortality is higher for patients with stage 2–3 AKI than for patients without AKI.
- Gottlieb SS, Abraham W, Butler J et al. The prognostic importance of different definitions of worsening renal function in congestive heart failure. J Card Fail. 2002;8 (3):136–141.
- Smith GL, Lichtman JH, Bracken MB et al. Renal impairment and outcomes in heart failure: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47 (10):1987–1996.
- Zhou Q, Zhao C, Xie D et al. Acute and acute-on-chronic kidney injury of patients with decompensated heart failure: impact on outcomes. BMC Nephrol. 2012;13:51
- Akhter MW, Aronson D, Bitar F et al. Effect of elevated admission serum creatinine and its worsening on outcome in hospitalized patients with decompensated heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2004 Oct 1;94 (7):957–60.
- Kociol RD, Greiner MA, Hammill BG et al. Long-term outcomes of medicare beneficiaries with worsening renal function during hospitalization for heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105 (12):1786–93.
- Hata N, Yokoyama S, Shinada T et al. Acute kidney injury and outcomes in acute decompensated heart failure: evaluation of the RIFLE criteria in an acutely ill heart failure population. Eur J Heart Fail. 2010 Jan;12 (1):32–7.
- Bellomo R, Ronco C, Kellum J. A et al. Acute renal failure-definition, outcome measures, animal models, fluid therapy and information technology needs: the Second International Consensus Conference of the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) Group. Crit Care. 2004 Aug;8 (4):R204–12
- Mehta RL, Kellum JA, Shah SV et al. Acute Kidney Injury Network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury. Crit Care. 2007;11 (2):31–39.
- Bagshaw SM, George C, Bellomo RA comparison of the RIFLE and AKIN criteria for acute kidney injury in critically ill patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008;23 (5):1569–1574.
- Englberger L, Suri R. M, Li Z et al. Clinical accuracy of RIFLE and Acute Kidney Injury Network (AKIN) criteria for acute kidney injury in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Crit Care 2011;15 (1):16–25.
- Joannidis M, Metnitz B, Bauer P et al. Acute kidney injury in critically ill patients classified by AKIN versus RIFLE using the SAPS 3 database. Intensive Care Med 2009; 35 (10):1692–1702.
- Khwaja A. KDIGO Clinical Practice Guidelines for Acute Kidney Injury. Nephron Clin Pract 2012;120 (4):179–184.
- Диагностика и лечение острой сердечной недостаточности. Кардиоваскулярная терапия и профилактика 2006;5 (6): Приложение 1.
- Jochimsen F1, Schäfer JH, Maurer A, Distler A. Impairment of renal function in medical intensive care: predictability of acute renal failure. Crit Care Med 1990;18 (5):480–485.
- Ronco C, Haapio M, House AA et al. Cardiorenal syndrome. J. Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52 (19):1527–1539.
- Damman K, van Deursen V. M, Navis G et al. Increased central venous pressure is associated with impaired renal function and mortality in a broad spectrum of patients with cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Feb 17;53 (7):582–588.
- Cowie MR, Komajda M, Murray-Thomas T et al. Prevalence and impact of worsening renal function in patients hospitalized with decompensated heart failure:results of the prospective outcomes study in heart failure (POSH). Eur Heart J. 2006;27 (10):1216–1222.
- Krumholz HM, Chen YT, Vaccarino V et al. Correlates and impact on outcomes of worsening renal function in patients > or =65 years of age with heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2000;85 (9):1110–1113.
- Forman DE, Butler J, Wang Y et al. Incidence, predictors at admission, and impact of worsening renal function among patients hospitalized with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43 (1):61–67.
- Arnaoutakis GJ, Bihorac A, Martin TD et al. RIFLE criteria for acute kidney injury in aortic arch surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;134 (6):1554–1561.
- Macedo E, Malhotra R, Claure-Del Granado R et al. Defining urine output criterion for acute kidney injury in critically ill patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011 Feb;26 (2):509–15
- Chenoweth CE, Saint S. Urinary tract infections. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2011 Mar;25 (1):103–15.
- Mahesh B, Yim B, Robson D et al. Does furosemide prevent renal dysfunction in high-risk cardiac surgical patients? Results of a double-blinded prospective randomised trial. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008;33 (3):370–376.
- Мензоров М. В., Шутов А. М., Серов В. А. и др. Острое повреждение почек у больных инфарктом миокарда и эффективность тромболитической терапии. Кардиология 2012;52 (5):8–12.
- Siew ED, Matheny ME, Ikizler TA et al. Commonly used surrogates for baseline renal function affect the classification and prognosis of acute kidney injury. Kidney Int. 2010;77 (6):536–542.
- Bagshaw SM1, George C, Bellomo R; ANZICS Database Management Committe. A comparison of the RIFLE and AKIN criteria for acute kidney injury in critically ill patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008 May;23 (5):1569–74.
- Шутов А. М., Курзина Е. В., Серов В. А., Ивашкина Т. Н. Митральная регургитация у больных с хронической сердечной недостаточностью ассоциирована со снижением функционального состояния почек. Нефрология. 2008;12 (1):19–23.
- Lassus JP, Nieminen MS, Peuhkurinen K et al. Markers of renal function and acute kidney injury in acute heart failure: definitions and impact on outcomes of the cardiorenal syndrome. Eur Heart J. 2010 Nov;31 (22):2791–8.
- Thakar CV, Parikh PJ, Liu Y. Acute kidney injury (AKI) and risk of readmissions in patients with heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2012;109 (10):1482–1486.
- Koyner JL, Vaidya VS, Bennett MR et al. Urinary biomarkers in the clinical prognosis and early detection of acute kidney injury. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5 (12):2154–2165.
- Self WH, Barrett TW. Novel biomarkers: help or hindrance to patient care in the emergency department? Ann Emerg Med. 2010;56 (1):60–61.
- Shavit L, Dolgoker I, Ivgi H et al. Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin as a Predictor of Complications and Mortality in Patients Undergoing Non-Cardiac Major Surgery. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2011;34 (2):116–124.
Makeeva E. R., Menzorov M. V., Shutov A. M. et al. Effect of acute kidney injury on prognosis in patients with acute decompensation of chronic heart failure. Russian Heart Failure Journal. 2014;15(1):32–38.