Russian Heart Failure Journal 2011year Etiological factors of chronic heart failure and comorbid diseases in outpatients 75 years and older
Etiological factors of chronic heart failure and comorbid diseases in outpatients 75 years and older
Temnikova E. A, Nechaeva G. I.
Keywords: etiology, heart failure, comorbidity, outpatients, elderly
DOI: 10.18087/ rhfj.2011.4.1541
Background. Old and elderly patients are the significant part of patients with CHF. However old age and comorbid diseases are as a rule exclusion criteria in clinical trials, so there is few information about HF features in this group of patients. Objective. To study etiologic factors of CHF and comorbid diseases in outpatients 75 years or older. Materials and methods. This open cross sectional observational clinical study included 440 patients aged 75 years and older with diagnosis of CHF fr om territorial clinics. Results. The main causes of heart failure in the study sample were hypertension, coronary artery disease or their combination. The most common concomitant diseases were circulatory encephalopathy (CE), osteoarthritis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). COPD was associated with more frequent detection of clinical symptoms of CHF, and CE – with changes in quality of life (QoL) with reduced physical activity, but greater emotional stability. Comorbidity was associated with polytherapy, leading to limitations of CHF treatment due to some drugs for opportunistic diseases. Another problem was low complience. Thus outpatients 75 years and older with CHF are characterized by a significant number of concomitant diseases and high prevalence of comorbid diseases, which significantly lim it patients ability for self-service and reduce complience.
- Rich MW. Heart failure in the 21st Century: a cardiogeriatric syndrome. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001;56 (2):M88–96.
- Jessup, M. The less familiar face of heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;41 (2):224–226.
- Лазебник Л. Б. Старение и полиморбидность. Consilium medicum. 2006;12 (7);993–996.
- Ahmed A. Quality and outcomes of heart failure care in older adults: role of multidisciplinary disease-management programs. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002;50 (9):1590–1593.
- Braunstein JB, Anderson GF, Gerstenblith G et al. Noncardiac comorbidity increases preventable hospitalizations and mortality among Medicare beneficiaries with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;42 (7):1226–1233.
- Anger JT, Saigal CS, Litwin MS et al. The prevalence of urinary incontinence among community dwelling adult women: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Urol. 2006;175 (2):601–604.
- Vaccarino V, Kasl SV, Abramson J, Krumholz HM. Depressive symptoms and risk of functional decline and death in patients with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 200;38 (1):199–205.
- Katon W, Lin EH, Kroenke K. The association of depression and anxiety with medical symptom burden in patients with chronic medical illness. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2007;29 (2):147–155.
- Pantilat SZ, Steimle AE. Palliative care for patients with heart failure. JAMA. 2004;291 (20):2476–2482.
- Rutledge T, Reis VA, Linke SE et al. Depression in heart failure a meta-analytic review of prevalence, intervention effects, and associations with clinical outcomes. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;48 (8):1527–1537.
- Stuart B. Palliative care and hospice in advanced heart failure. J Palliat Med. 2007;10 (1):210–228.
- van Jaarsveld CH, Sanderman R, Miedema I et al. Changes in health related quality of life in older patients with acute myocardial infarction or congestive heart failure: a prospective study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001;49 (8):1052–1058.
- Gott M, Barnes S, Parker C et al. Predictors of the quality of life of older people with heart failure recruited from primary care. Age Ageing. 2006;35 (2):172–177.
- Jenkinson C, Jenkinson D, Shepperd S et al. Evaluation of treatment for congestive heart failure in patients aged 60 years and older using generic measures of health status (SF-36 and COOP charts). Age Ageing. 1997;26 (1):7–13.
- Cline CM, Willenheimer RB, Erhardt LR et al. Health-related quality of life in elderly patients with heart failure. Scand Cardiovasc J. 1999;33 (5):278–285.
- Eriksson H, Svärdsudd K, Larsson B et al. Quality of life in early heart failure: The Study of men born in 1913. Scand J Prim Health Care. 1988;6 (3):161–167.
- Мясоедова Н. А., Тхостова Э. Б., Белоусов Ю. Б. Оценка качества жизни при различных сердечно-сосудистых заболеваниях. Качественная клиническая Практика. 2002;1:53–57.
- Hobbs FD, Kenkre JE, Roalfe AK et al. Impact of heart failure and left ventricular systolic dysfunction on quality of life. Eur Heart J. 2002;23 (23):1867–1876.
- Varvaro FF, Olds NB, Zullo TG, Murali S. Determining Quality of Life in Older and Younger Women With Congestive Heart Failure and Myocardial Infarction. Am J Geriatr Cardiol. 1999;8 (1):15–20.
- Clark DO, Tu W, Weiner M, Murray MD. Correlates of health-related quality of life among lower-income, urban adults with congestive heart failure. Heart Lung. 2003;32 (6):391–401.
- Riedinger MS, Dracup KA, Brecht ML. Predictors of quality of life in women with heart failure. SOLVD Investigators. Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2000;19 (6):598–608.
- Hou N, Chui MA, Eckert GL et al. Relationship of age and sex to health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure. Am J Crit Care. 2004;13 (2):153–161.
- Masoudi FA, Rumsfeld JS, Havranek EP et al. Age, functional capacity, and health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure. J Card Fail. 2004;10 (5):368–373.
- Ситникова М. Ю., Лелявина Т. А., Шляхто Е. В. и др. Особенности клиники, диагностики и прогноза хронической сердечной недостаточности у госпитализированных пациентов старческого возраста. Журнал Сердечная Недостаточность. 2006;7 (2):85–87.
Temnikova E.A., Nechaeva G.I. Etiological factors of chronic heart failure and comorbid diseases in outpatients 75 years and older. Russian Heart Failure Journal. 2011;12(4):191-195.