Russian Heart Failure Journal 2011year Prognostic role of changes in NT-proBNP level during combined therapy of patients with heart failure
Prognostic role of changes in NT-proBNP level during combined therapy of patients with heart failure
Mezhonov E. M.
Keywords: N-terminal brain natriuretic propeptide (NT-proBNP), prognosis, heart failure
Background. It is not clear if the dynamic of NT-proBNP level during therapy can reflect the long-term prognosis. Objective. To study the prognostic significance of dynamic of NT-proBNP plasma level in patients with LVSD receiving standard therapy in one-year prospective study. Materials and methods. The study included 84 patients aged 23 to 70 years (mean age 54±8.1 years) with LVSD (LVEF <40 %). All patients underwent 6 min walk test, echocardiography, detection of NT-proBNP plasma level, assessment the clinical status with SHOKS. Median follow-up was 18 months. Results. Baseline NT-proBNP high level (3,000 pg / ml) and the absence of its decrease, as well as increase of its plasma level during treatment period was associated with a worse prognosis. The reduction of plasma level was associated with better prognosis. Thus, repeated definition of NT-proBNP plasma level can identify patients at increased risk for more intensive observation and aggressive pathogenic therapy.
- Бугримова М. А., Савина Н. М., Ваниева О. С. Мозговой натрийуретический пептид как маркер и фактор прогноза при хронической сердечной недостаточности. Кардиология. 2006;46 (1):51–64.
- Cleland JGF, Swedberg K, Follath F et al. The EuroHeart Failure Survey programme – a survey on the quality of care among patients with heart failure in Europe. Part 1: patient characteristics and diagnosis. Eur Heart J. 2003;24 (5):442–463.
- Jourdain P, Jondeau G, Funck F et al. Plasma brain natriuretic peptide-guided therapy to improve outcome in heart failure: the STARS-BNP Multicenter Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;49 (16):1733–1739.
- Maisel AS, Koon J, Krishnaswamy P et al. Utility of B-natriuretic pepetide as a rapid point-of-care test for screening patients undergoing ecgocardiography to determine left ventricular dysfunction. Am Heart J. 2001;141 (3):367–374.
- Troughton RW, Frampton CM, Yandle TG et al. Treatment of heart failure guided by plasma aminoterminal brain natriuretic peptide (N-BNP) concentrations. Lancet. 2000;355 (9210):1126–1130.
- Yoshimura M, Mizuno Y, Nakayama M et al. B-type natriuretic peptide as a marker of the effects of enalapril in patients with heart failure. Am J Med. 2002;112 (9):716–720.
- Maisel A, Mueller C, Adams K Jr et al. State of the art: using natriuretic peptide levels in clinical practice. Eur J Heart Fail. 2008;10 (9):824–839.
- Schou M, Gustafsson F, Kjaer A, Hildebrandt PR. Long-term clinical variation of NT-proBNP in stable chronic heart failure patients. Eur Heart J. 2007;28 (2):177–182.
Mezhonov E. M. Prognostic role of changes in NT-proBNP level during combined therapy of patients with heart failure. Russian Heart Failure Journal. 2011;12(2):73-78.