Russian Heart Failure Journal 2011year Violation of circadian rhythm of blood pressure in patients with chronic heart failure associated with impaired renal function
Violation of circadian rhythm of blood pressure in patients with chronic heart failure associated with impaired renal function
Serov V. A., Shutov A. M., Troshenkina O. V., Menzorov M. V., Kirischeva E. K.
Keywords: renal failure, CHF, circadian rhythm of blood pressure
Background. The lack of nocturnal blood pressure reduction leads to increased pressure load, and contributes to progressive lesion of cardiovascular system and kidneys. Despite the frequent combination of CHF and chronic kidney disease (CKD), main features of circadian rhythm in such patients are still poorly understood. Objective. To study circadian BP profile in patients with CHF, depending on renal function. Materials and methods. The study included 126 patients with CHF. 60 patients had glomerular filtration rate (GFR) above 60 ml / min / 1.73 m2 (group 1), 40 patients – moderate decrease (GFR from 45 to 59 ml / min / 1.73 m2 – group 2), 26 patients – severe decrease (below 45 ml / min / 1.73 m2 – group 3). Results. 50 % of patients in 1st group had nocturnal decrease (ND) of SBP ≥10 %, in 2nd group this figure was 47.5 %, in 3d group – 19.2 % (χ2=5.9, p=0.02 for groups 1 and 3; χ2=4.3, p=0.04 for groups 2 and 3). Circadian profile of DBP also had significant differences: 65 % of patients in 1st group had ND of DBP ≥10 %, in 2nd group this figure was 60 %, in 3d – 38.5 % (χ2=4.2, p=0.04 for groups 1 and 3; χ2=2.1, p=0.1 for groups 2 and 3). Correlation of SBP and DBP ND with GFR was revealed (r=0.21, p=0.02 and r=0.23, p=0.009 respectively). Multivariate regression analysis confirmed an independent relationship between reduced GFR below 45 ml / min / 1.73 m2 and SBP and DBP ND (p=0.02 and p=0.04 respectively). The study showed significant circadian rhythm disorders in patients with CHF associated with CKD.
- Фомин И. В. Эпидемиология хронической сердечной недостаточности в Российской Федерации. В кн.: Хроническая сердечная недостаточность [Агеев Ф. Т. и соавт.] М.:ГЭОТАР-Медиа, 2010. – c. 7–77.
- Stam F, van Guldener C, Becker A et al. Endothelial dysfunction contributes to renal function-associated cardiovascular mortality in a population with mild renal insufficiency: the Hoorn study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17 (2):537–545.
- Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D et al. Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med. 2004;351 (13):1296–1305.
- Agarwal R. Systolic hypertension in hemodialysis patients. Semin Dial. 2003;16 (3):208–213.
- Farmer CK, Goldsmith DJ, Cox J et al. An investigation of the effect of advancing uraemia, renal replacement therapy and renal transplantation on blood pressure diurnal variability. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1997;12 (11):2301–2307.
- O’Seaghdha CM, Perkovic V, Lam TH et al. Blood pressure is a major risk factor for renal death: an analysis of 560 352 participants from the Asia-Pacific region. Hypertension. 2009;54 (3):509–515.
- ESCAPE Trial Group, Wühl E, Trivelli A, Picca S et al. Strict blood-pressure control and progression of renal failure in children. N Engl J Med. 2009;361 (17):1639–1650.
- Andersen MJ, Khawandi W, Agarwal R. Home blood pressure monitoring in CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;45 (6):994–1001.
- Tomlinson LA, Holt SG, Leslie AR et al. Prevalence of ambulatory hypotension in elderly patients with CKD stages 3 and 4. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009;24 (12):3751–3755.
- Redon J, Plancha E, Swift PA et al. Nocturnal blood pressure and progression to end-stage renal disease or death in nondiabetic chronic kidney disease stages 3 and 4. J Hypertens. 2010;28 (3):602–607.
- Csiky B, Kovacs T, Wagner L et al. Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and progression in patients with IgA nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1999;14 (1):86–90.
- Go AS, Yang J, Ackerson LM et al. Hemoglobin level, chronic kidney disease, and the risks of death and hospitalization in adults with chronic heart failure: the Anemia in Chronic Heart Failure: Outcomes and Resource Utilization (ANCHOR) Study. Circulation. 2006;113 (23):2713–2723.
- Dimopoulos K, Diller GP, Koltsida E et al. Prevalence, predictors, and prognostic value of renal dysfunction in adults with congenital heart disease. Circulation. 2008;117 (18):2320–2328.
- Hamaguchi S, Tsuchihashi-Makaya M, Kinugawa S et al. Chronic Kidney Disease as an Independent Risk for Long-Term Adverse Outcomes in Patients Hospitalized With Heart Failure in Japan. Circ J. 2009;73 (8):1442–1447.
- Серов В. А., Шутов А. М., Сучков В. Н. и др. Влияние хронической болезни почек на прогноз больных хронической сердечной недостаточностью. Сердечная недостаточность. 2009;10 (4):202–204.
- Рогоза А. Н., Никольский В. П., Ощепкова Е. В. и др. Суточное мониторирование артериального давления (методические вопросы). Г. Г. Арабидзе и О. Ю. Атьков (ред.). Доступно на: http://webmed.irkutsk.ru / doc / pdf / abpm_method. pdf
- Levey AS, Coresh J, Balk E et al. National Kidney Foundation practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification. Ann Intern Med. 2003;139 (2):137–147.
- Crowe E, Halpin D, Stevens P et al. Early identification and management of chronic kidney disease: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ. 2008;337:a1793.
- Routledge FS, McFetridge-Durdle JA, Dean CR et al. Night-time blood pressure patterns and target organ damage: a review. Can J Cardiol. 2007;23 (2):132–138.
- Hermida RC, Ayala DE, Portaluppi F. Circadian variation of blood pressure: the basis for the chronotherapy of hypertension. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2007;59 (9-10):904–922.
- Hoshide S, Kario K, Hoshide Y et al. Associations between nondipping of nocturnal blood pressure decrease and cardiovascular target organ damage in strictly selected community-dwelling normotensives. Am J Hypertens. 2003;16 (6):434–438.
- Davidson MB, Hix JK, Vidt DG et al. Association of impaired diurnal blood pressure variation with a subsequent decline in glomerular filtration rate. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166 (8):846–852.
- Ingelsson E, Björklund-Bodegård K, Lind L et al. Diurnal blood pressure pattern and risk of congestive heart failure. JAMA. 2006;295 (24):2859–2866.
- Shin J, Kline S, Moore M et al. Association of diurnal blood pressure pattern with risk of hospitalization or death in men with heart failure. J Card Fail. 2007;13 (8):656–662.
- de la Sierra A, Redon J, Banegas JR et al. Prevalence and factors associated with circadian blood pressure patterns in hypertensive patients. Hypertension. 2009;53 (3):466–472.
- Prisant LM. Blunted nocturnal decline in blood pressure. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2004;6 (10):594–597.
- Kanbay M, Turgut F, Uyar ME et al. Causes and mechanisms of nondipping hypertension. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2008;30 (7):585–597.
- Fukuda M, Mizuno M, Yamanaka T et al. Patients with renal dysfunction require a longer duration until blood pressure dips during the night. Hypertension. 2008;52 (6):1155–1160.
- Knight EL, Glynn RJ, McIntyre KM et al. Predictors of decreased renal function with heart failure during angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor therapy: results from studies of left ventricular dysfunction. Am Heart J. 1999;138 (5 Pt 1):849–855.
- Goto N, Uchida K, Morozumi K et al. Circadian blood pressure rhythm is disturbed by nephrectomy. Hypertens Res. 2005;28 (4):301–306.
- Ishikawa J, Shimizu M, Hoshide S et al. Cardiovascular risks of dipping status and chronic kidney disease in elderly Japanese hypertensive patients. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2008;10 (10):787–794.
- Glynn LG, Reddan D, Newell J et al. Chronic kidney disease and mortality and morbidity among patients with established cardiovascular disease: a West of Ireland community-based cohort study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2007;22 (9):2586–2594.
Serov V.A., Shutov A.M., Troshenkina O.V. et al. Violation of circadian rhythm of blood pressure in patients with chronic heart failure associated with impaired renal function. Russian Heart Failure Journal. 2011;12(1):11-14.